I had one of those “light bulb” moments the other day as I was praying for several individuals I know who are struggling spiritually. My heart was burdened as their faces raced through my mind.
As I began to pray, the Lord brought me to a passage of Scripture that seemed to summarize the core spiritual struggle for almost all of them … they are rich.
This richness isn't just a money thing though. It could be that they are rich in talent, in stature, in possessions, in physical beauty, in intellect, in time, in charisma, in friends and for some even in money. As The Message paraphrases it, by the world’s standards they “have it all.”
Yet their downfall IS NOT what they have, it’s what they have CHOSEN TO DO with what they have. They have chosen to do their own thing, in their own way, in their own time.
I can relate, I’ve been there. I don’t ever want to go back there.
Thus, I’m challenged, haunted, burdened and convicted as I read the words of Jesus in Matthew 19 to the "rich man" because until we get this one truth right, everything else we do will be in vain. More than any other people group on the planet, we rich Americans need to grasp this truth.
Matthew 19:15-22 (The Message)
Another day, a man stopped Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?"
Jesus said, "Why do you question me about what's good? God is the One who is good. If you want to enter the life of God, just do what he tells you."
The man asked, "What in particular?"
Jesus said, "Don't murder, don't commit adultery, don't steal, don't lie, honor your father and mother, and love your neighbor as you do yourself." (RELIGION - FOLLOWING RULES)
The young man said, "I've done all that. What's left?"
"If you want to give it all you've got," Jesus replied, "go sell your possessions; give everything to the poor. All your wealth will then be in heaven. Then come follow me." (RELATIONSHIP)
That was the last thing the young man expected to hear. And so, crest-fallen, he walked away. He was holding on tight to a lot of things, and he couldn't bear to let go.
No comments:
Post a Comment