With everything going on in the world today...1. Earthquake in China - over 60,000 dead
2. Clyclone in Myanmar - recent numbers show upwards of 100,o00 dead
3. Aids Epidemic in Africa - 1.6 million adults and children died from AIDS in Sub-Saharan Africa in 2007
4. Africa has 10.7 million orphans as a result of AIDS and the numbers continue to grow.
5. At least 150 million children worldwide are believed to live, at least part time, on the streets.
6. India has a population of 1 billion with about 35 million orphans, many of whom live on the streets
... I was left with a broad range of emotions (everything from sad to mad) when sitting on the couch the other night I watched as NBC Nightly News saw it newsworthy enough to take time out of their broadcast to share feedback from viewers concerning how gas prices negatively effected Americans over the Memorial Day weekend holiday.
To me, this report is a commentary about just how selfish, self-centered, and "rich" (see last post) we are as Americans. Maybe it's more the timing than anything. I'm not sure. But I know one thing. I wish for just one day we as Americans would have to live without so we could see how much we truly have. Our entire perspective would change.
No comments:
Post a Comment