
Each night before Haley goes to bed we decide on someone to pray for or something to pray about. For a long time, it seemed like we were always praying for someone who was sick or dying. When we finally no longer had anyone to pray for in that category, I decided I wanted to start us focusing on things we are “thankful for” that God has given to us. You know, instead of always asking for something, start saying "thank you" for what we have already been given.
So, tonight as Haley & I got to the point of thanking God for what we are thankful for (and wow, it seemed like the night from “hell” leading up to it), I decided to tell her about the girls and boys of The Congo Project. I started out by saying, “Haley, did you know that there are some boys and girls who don’t have a bed to sleep in at night like you do.”
From there, something unexpected happened. Haley began to recite for me what she knew some boys and girls don’t have that she does have…
Haley - “Yeah dad, and some boys and girls don’t have blankets.”
Me – “You’re right, Haley!”
Haley – “And some don’t have mommies and daddies.”
Me – “Yeah”
Haley - “And bedrooms.”
Me – “Yep”
Pause
Haley – “And Toys.”
Me – Speechless.
(NOTE: Earlier in the day, I had an email conversation with Caleb Bislow about what we would do with any monies given beyond the $10,000 that it would take to buy the building for the ladies and children of The Congo Project. He had mentioned that a first need would probably be beds. That conversation was actually in the back of my mind when I started to talking to Haley about being thankful for having a nice, warm bed to sleep in at night.)
This back and forth conversation with Haley, felt very much like a holy moment. I was in awe of what was coming out of my 3 year-old daughter’s mouth. As the saying goes, "Out of the mouths of babes..."
I couldn't help but think that God had just used Haley to outline the next phase of The Congo Project. So, in the coming days watch for more details to come about Phase II of the Congo Project after Phase I (raising the $10,000 to buy a building they can call “home”) has been completed.
No comments:
Post a Comment