Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A God-Sized "Ah-Ha" Moment

Over the years, I've had a bunch of "ah-ha" moments in ministry where God shown me something I've never seen before. Earlier this year, my ministry partner and friend, Derry, had an "ah-ha" moment that I think could impact our Summer Camp ministry for years to come.

Every year, we see students go to summer camp and see God work in their lives in very real and amazing ways. Yet many of these students really struggle to bring home what they've learned. It's typical to hear comments like "God changed my life at camp this year" or "I wish the whole year could be like summer camp." While, in and of themselves, these comments aren't bad, there is something that is missing. This is where Derry's God-inspired "ah-ha" moment comes into play. Here it is...

"What students are experiencing at summer camp is not spiritual growth. What they are getting at summer camp is renewed perspective of who God is and who they are. Real spiritual growth cannot take place until they come down from the mountain (summer camp), walk through the valley (real life back home), and put it in to practice." Here's a diagram Derry created to illustrate this Truth...





I'm so grateful to work with people like Derry who are a whole lot smarter than I am who I learn from on a weekly basis! What's exciting is that as this Truth has been shared with students at both camps so far this summer, students seem to be "getting it." Time will only tell...

No comments: