Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Youth Culture Statistics - Part I

I recently received a copy of the May/June 2009 issue of "Youth Worker Journal." This is the first time I've read this magazine. I devoured it! It has some great information for those in youth ministry. It's current and relevant. Check out the website.

One of the articles was on Youth Culture. Here's some recent data from that article that I found interesting. I'll share more statistics in a second post later.

Josephson Institute released its latest Report Card on the Ethics of American Youth:
(1) Nearly 1/3 said they stole from a store in the past year
(2) Nearly ¼ said they took something from a parent or relative
(3) 83 percent of respondents lied to their parents about something important
(4) Nearly 2/3 admitted to cheating on a test
(5) More than ¼ said they actually lied on the survey
(6) 93 percent said they felt they were pretty satisfied with their ethics.

OTHER STATISTICS
(1) Almost one in every 200 children in the United States is a vegetarian, according to a new study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

(2) Doctors say many youth are losing their hearing prematurely at an alarming rate, and they’re blaming I-Pods and other MP3 players. According to experts, most folks can listen to consistent noise levels of up to 85 decibels safely, but I-Pods can churn out 120 decibels. (8)

(3) According to a recent study by EROI, 37 percent of high school and college students say texting is their preferred form of communication. Email, came in a distant second in the survey (26 percent), followed by social networking and instant messaging (15 percent).

(4) According to a new study, people tend to watch more television as they age.

(5) Murder among black youth continues to climb, according to a study out of Northeastern University in Boston. The number of African-American killers also has risen 38 percent in the last seven years.

No comments: