Sunday, May 25, 2008

A Powerful Reminder

This morning was our annual Graduation Sunday at NMC. As has become tradition, Derry Prenkert, our Senior High pastor gets the honor of preaching on this Sunday.

Today, as a conclusion to the message, a group of Senior High students performed a very powerful skit set to the Lifehouse song "Everything." These students are members of our 2008 IMPACT Mexico Team. They've actually been learning this skit in preparation for the ministry they'll be doing this summer in Mexico.

Every time I've seen this skit, first on Youtube (see below) and then this morning at NMC, I've been incredibly moved. Here are the reasons why I think this skit evokes so much emotion within me ...

(1) It's the realization that I serve a God that "fights" FOR me.

(2) There are so many people I know (students at NMC, family members, etc.) that are on the losing end of that fight right now. They need to know that there is hope and a God that is actively pursuing them inspite of their poor choices and feelings of failure.

(3) I'm reminded of my past and forced to complicate where I would be today without the freedom offered through Jesus Christ.

(4) There is something at the core of every man that desires to be the hero. As John Eldridge says, "...in the heart of every man is a desperate desire for a battle to fight, an adventure to live..."



No comments: