I've been on a wild ride lately as the Lord teaches me about what it looks like to truly live by faith although not so much through external experience I've had as much as through internal transformation. The phrase that I continue to remember and that almost haunts me is the word of the writer of Hebrews when he says in Hebrews 11, the famous "heroes of the faith" chapter of Scripture, that "And it is impossible to please God without faith."
Tomorrow morning, a former youth of mine when I was the youth pastor at Beulah Missionary Church leaves for basic training in Fort Campbell, Kentucky. Now on the surface this may not seem all that newsworthy until you understand his upbringing and what it would mean for him to complete basic training and become an official member of the United States Armed Forces. It would literally be the very first time in his life that he'd feel a sense of accomplishment for anything.
Frankly, I think it might take a minor miracle, Ok, maybe a major miracle for him to make it through 9 or so grueling weeks of basic training. But I know this much: I'm going to be praying like crazy that he makes it through.
His name is Brian. He was born premature with some significant learning disabilities and certain physical limitations. He grew up in a home that could be the poster-home for dysfunction. He's literally never had a parent figure in his life, not as a child and not now as a young adult. I've probably been as much of a parent figure in Brian's life as anyone which is frankly scary because my time with Brian has been pretty spotty over the 10 years or so that've I've know him.
Because he never had a parent figure in his life, he's made one poor choice after another. Yet he loves Jesus and challenges me more than most older, more educated Christ-followers that I know.
I don't know what the outcome of basic training will be for Brian. I so badly want him to succeed. He truly exemplifies in his life and in this decision what it means to live with a "child-like" faith. I'm proud of you Brian for taking this great step of faith and I'm praying for you every day!
No comments:
Post a Comment