Monday, June 8, 2009

Message to the 7 Churches

Lately, I’ve been diving deeper into Revelation 2-3 where the Lord addresses 7 churches specifically. I find these chapters intriguing. I can’t help but think that the words of the Lord to these 7 churches, don't still hold relevance for the Church today.

I think we would do well to learn from the mistakes that these early churches made!

1. Compliments (“I know all the things you do.”)
2. Complaint (“But I have this complaint against you”)
3. Charge (Action Step)
4. Consequence (if action isn’t taken)


*The churches at Smyrna and Philadelphia clearly deviate from the pattern in John’s writing to the other five churches. The Lord seems to have no complaint or warning against these churches. Rather, he has only words of encouragement. A commonality between these 2 churches, seems to be there humble position. One is "suffering" and in "poverty" (Smyrna) while the other has "little strength." (Philadelphia)

EPHESUS

Compliments
(1) Your work hard
(2) Your patient endurance
(3) You don’t tolerate evil people
(4) You have examined the claims of those who say they are apostles but are not
(5) You patiently suffered for Christ w/o quitting

Complaint
You don’t love me or each other as you did at first. Look how far you have fallen from your first love!

Charge
Turn back to me again and work as you did at first.

Consequence
If you don’t, I will come and remove your lamp stand

Smyrna
Compliments
You are spiritually rich even though you are suffering and living in poverty!

Charge
Don’t be afraid of what you are about to suffer.

Consequence
(1) The devil will throw some of you into prison and put you to the test.
(2) You will be persecuted for ‘ten days.’

Reward
Remain faithful even when facing death, and I will give you the crown of life.

PERGAMUM
Compliments
(1) You remained loyal even in midst of sin
(2) You refused to deny me even when other followers were being killed by Satan’s followers

Complaint
You tolerate sin and those who cause others to sin

Charge
Repent

Consequence
I will come to you suddenly and fight against them with the sword of the mouth

Thyatira
Compliments
(1) I know all the things you do, your love, your faith, your service and your patient endurance.
(2) And I can see constant improvement in all these things

Complaint
You permitted Jezebel to lead my servants astray

Consequence
I will throw her upon a sickbed and she will suffer greatly with all who commit adultery with her…

Charge
(1) To Jezebel: Repent (but she would not turn away from her immorality
(2) To Everyone Else: Hold tightly to what you have until I come

Sardia
Compliments
You have a reputation for being alive

Complaint
Your deeds are far from right in the sight of God

Charge
Go back to what you heard and believed at first; hold to it firmly and turn to me again.

Consequences
Unless you do, I will come upon you suddenly, as unexpected as a thief.

Philadelphia
Compliments
(1) I have opened a door for you that no one else can shut.
(2) You have little strength, yet you obeyed my word and did not deny me.

Rewards
(1) I will force those who belong to Satan…to come and bow down at your feet.
(2) Because you have obeyed my command to preserve, I will protect you from the great time of testing that will come upon the whole world to test those who belong to the world.

Charge
Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take away your crown.

Laodicea
Complaint
You are neither hot nor cold. I wish you were one or the other!

Consequences
(1) Since you are like lukewarm water, I will spit you out of my mouth!
(2) You are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked.

Charge

Be diligent and turn from you indifference.

No comments: