Monday, June 1, 2009

Book Notes - "Making Room for Life" (Series)

Over the next few weeks, I'll be posting brief snippets from Randy Frazee's book, "Making Room for Life: Trading Chaotic Lifestyles for Connected Relationships." These will be brief thoughts from the book that I found particularly challenging and thought-provoking.

“Humans are creatures of habit. When the Hebrews gained freedom from the hard life of slavery in Egypt and made their way to a new life of freedom, dignity, and blessing, they grumbled and wanted to go back to Egypt (Numbers 14:3-4). They knew how to do slavery – and they wanted to go back to familiar circumstances. They didn’t know how to do freedom." (89)

"I’m suggesting that we don’t either. We are slaves to schedules, accumulation, and automobiles. A key observation is that this evening chaos is primarily driven by the children’s activities. This is what I call “the juvenile suburban dance.” Here’s the primary question: Is this what the children really want or need?" (89)

"In suburbia the mission is to sign kids up for as many activities as possible so they’ll be exposed to as many wonderful opportunities as possible in order to shape their self-esteem and future options.” (89)

“If we ever hope to truly make room for life, we need to rethink the way we’re raising our children.” (92)

No comments: