I love this time of year in ministry because it's a chance for new beginnings and endless opportunities. However, it can also be a brutally disappointing time of year as you watch students who have grown up in your ministry go off to college and "fall off the deep end" spiritually.
I've been in ministry long enough to know that it's not "if" this will happen but rather "to whom" it will it happen. That may seem a bit pessimistic but it's reality. However, it never makes it any easier to hear about especially if it's someone you've specifically invested in over the years and watched grow spiritually.
This morning, I received a facebook message (I'm pretty sure by accident) from one such student...
"Hey guys! This Saturday we are having a keggar at our appartments...you guys are all invited...spread the word to the other guys...give me a text at (cell number here) if ur comming"
2 comments:
whoops....Did you RSVP? That would be very funny, don't you think?
Though not in full time ministry, I understand the feeling of elation in seeing someone from your program grow up and really do things for God...but I can understand feeling like you missed something with them if it goes the other way. I think, like parents, you just do your best to influence and teach them the right way while you have them, then let them go and make their own decisions.
Still funny, though. Can you imagine his face when you showed up at his place for the party? HA!
Sad story. i can somewhat relate to your pain... only i was a classmate of some of these students that have fallen. Maybe not the one you are talking about, but there are definitely others. (not trying to be judgemental). It's sad to watch happen day by day. I wish a simple slap in the face would be enough to make them change their minds, but I can't imagine that it would change anything. All I know to do is pray that sometime, somehow, some way they will find their way back. oh... and of course continue to shine the light of Christ!!! :)
Post a Comment