Saturday, May 31, 2008

Update on My Condition

Here's what happens when you play basketball on a wet floor while wearing old tennis shoes ...










Last Night we were in the midst of wrapping up the first part of our DCGO Team retreat at Prairie Camp with some free time, when I took a nasty spill on the gym floor. The result was lots of blood everywhere, a gash over my right eye, lots of pain on the right side of my face and a trip to the emergency room.

After spending nearly 4 hours in the emergency room at Goshen General Hospital the results were...

(1) 6 stitches to close that nasty gash above my right eye

(2) Broken blood vessels in/on my eye

(3) Multiple facial fractures on the right side of my face (which became apparent following a CAT Scan).

I'm recovering at home with a good dose of pain medication and antibiotics which leave me quite tired and woozy. I'll be visiting a plastic surgeon early next week to make sure that I won't need surgery. There is some concern because one of the fractures is close to my right eye and another is near my sinus cavity. In all, I fractured between 4-5 bones although luckily most were small fractures.

I'm already beginning to feel better and am hopeful for a good report from the Plastic Surgeon next week. I'd definitely appreciate your prayers for a full and speedy recovery!

No comments: