Thursday, May 24, 2007

"I Need" versus "I Want"

"I Need..." That was the phrase that was used by the driver ordering right before me at the drive-through window of Burger King yesterday morning. For some reason, whenever I hear this phrase used by someone here in America I cringe. Maybe it's because the poorest of us in America are still richer than 99.9% of people in the world. I'm often left thinking to myself, "You don't need that. You may want it but you don't need it."

I'm not saying that everyone who begins a sentence with the phrase "I need" when it comes to buying clothes, food, material stuff, etc. is a bad person or is someone who is selfish and ungrateful for what they do have. I'm simply saying that for most of us in America, it's not a true statement to say things like "I need french fries" or "I need a triple mocha" or "I need a size medium" or "I need an ipod". In reality, most of us don't need much of anything. In fact, a lot of us (including myself) could probably benefit from having a little less.

So the next time you get ready to say "I need" think about what you are saying and realize that what you are about to ask for (or demand) would be considered a luxury in many if not most parts of the world. And then instead of saying "I need" begin with a more accurate statement such as "I want" or "I would like" because, in reality, as Americans we "need" nothing.

No comments: